Monday, 21 November 2011

Jen and Corey invade Thoughtbubble!

(EDIT: SUNDAY has been added! If I have the time I will do a few more mini comics! I still haven't included the pee-bucket joke :D Ah~ Bless you and your sick mind Corey :D)

Phhooeewww! I am back from my first Thoughtbubble con up in Leeds where I shared a table with my writer-partner-in-crime-A-Team-crazy-man-who-pees-in-a-bucket Corey Brotherson! None of us had been in Leeds before and I had never even been so far up north (I don’t travel beyond the kitchen, the loo and my studio normally), so it was double the excitement (and subsequent exhaustion)!

I spent a full day in London before heading up to Leeds, just so I could FINALLY meet up with the creator of Clockwork Watch, Mistah Yomi Yomster of Yom (Yomi Ayeni). Seen on the right side in the photo below. Don't mind that person behind, trying to eat his dreads.

We got some time to plan out the near future of the transmedia project (which of course involves the two comics I’m illustrating for it). We’re in the last day of crowdfunding for the project now, so if you want to support us, go here: Click me! But hurry! Only about 15 hours left!

After eating cake and doing a lot of talking, it was time to take the evening train from London to Leeds! It was a relatively uneventful but long journey that finally arrived late at night in the city.

Neither me nor Corey knew our way around, but we could of course trust technology!

We finally got to our cheap hotel. The epic DISCOVERY INN.
And it sure as heck was a discovery.


After having a discovery inn breakfast (where Corey managed to spill juice over the buffet bar and I burned my croissant in the toaster), we headed over to the Thoughtbubble venue and set our table up!

We had free sweeties, as promised!

Me and Corey ready to rock!

(blurry photo!) By the end of the first day, all but two Clockwork Watch flyers would be gone. There IS interest in steampunk in the UK.

Speaking of Steampunk, here's a dressed up trio! They were lovely to talk to!

Pretty much the whole of Saturday was spent completely chained to the table. I only left to go to the loo. That was -it-. Both me and Corey did continuous talking, laughing and shouting for about 7 hours straight! Whenever there was a quiet moment we would try to eat something and drink water. (Hey, lesson learned from last convention where I was running on empty for most of the time.)

I was asked by the Cinebook table to do some fanart, so I drew Mejai from The Scorpion!

Mmm, frowning ladies. Can't get enough of them.

Yes, her boobs are that big in the comic. No, in fact, I think they're bigger, but I felt sorry for her back. ;D

When 5pm had gone, it was time to head back. We managed to bump into Nic Wilkinson and Cy Dethan on the way to the taxi, and ended up having a long educating conversation about WWE wrestling.

Later on me and Corey went to have a big meal (We were too shattered for the party). Only to later pass out, but not before we could discuss future plans involving micro-comics, short stories and Butterflies and Moths. :D


It was the day for my dress-up!

Even though I'm a beginner with ATS tribal belly dance, I still want the gear :P Was happy to meet other people at the con who knew about it too! Apparently it's huge up north.

Although Sunday was a tiny bit quieter on the customer-front, there was still never a slow moment due to all the interesting characters coming to our table to have a chat! This is one of the main reasons I love comic cons. Everyone's so bloomin' nice. :D

... And unique :D

Sadly me and Corey would have to pack up at 4pm due to our train leaving before the actual con ended. :/ But we still had a TON of fun. Con's always seem to break us, one way or another :D Last time we just didn't eat and I got ill from that. This time, Corey's knees got screwed up from all the running, so on the train back to London he was unable to move too much. It didn't help that the train was rammed and we were forced to sit in the corridor next to the toilet (something that would become a familiar place for me that same evening...).

But we finally arrived at Kings Cross and Corey was nice enough to guide me towards Paddington where my train to Bath would leave in about 30 minutes time.

All was well until we realised we were sitting on the wrong tube, going the opposite direction..! So began half an hour of running between tube platforms, lugging suitcases up and down stairs (Me with a HUGE bag and Corey with his shot knees) and flagging down a taxi in the middle of the street with 5 minutes to go before my train would depart.

By some bloody miracle, we made it to my train about 30 seconds before it was due to leave, but a familiar scene greeted me.

I would spend the next 2 hours squashed like a sardine with other passengers, right next to the toilet and screaming kids.



  1. It's all true! All truuuuuuuue *sobs*

  2. OMG...I think I saw the Skal sniffer around...and no, it wasnt me. Honest. :)

  3. i was the Skal sniffer and it was mighty fine! Love you Jennie & Cory you're coolio xx

  4. No! I was the Skal sniffer....ahhhhhhhh.

  5. I'm not sure I dare to ask how many now claim to have sniffed my Skal. :D

  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

  7. When I got my copy of Skal... the first thing I did was open it up and snifffffffffffffffffff :)

    Sniffers of paper, unite!