Tuesday, 6 September 2011

Clockwork Watch: Clockwork servant process from start to finish.

Decided to give a clockwork maid some colour!
And at the same time just show my general process from start to finish. This is how I usually work when doing cleaner ink-lines. If I'm doing paintings without the clean lines, I'll generally keep to the rougher sketches and paint straight on them.

But anyway. This is the process of a character painting with ink-lines.



Here we go!

1: I start out with a first rough on some regular printer paper. These are generally very quick and scribbly sketches. Done with 0.5 HB lead. Rarely use erasers at this point.


2: With the rough sketch done, I lightbox it for the first time to get the slightly cleaner lines down. Still on printer paper and still using 0.5 HB lead.


3: That cleaner rough is then lightboxed again onto the watercolour paper (I believe I'm using Saunders watercolour paper here). Still only pencil, but I ink over the pencil lines with various ink pens and then erase the pencil underneath.


4: Finally I apply the watercolour and keep it relatively simple.



Done!

5 comments:

  1. Im curious....do u soak your paper to stretch it on the board, and if so, how does your inks not run or bleed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!

    Nope. I don't soak it. I buy my watercolour papers in roughly A1-ish sizes, then I cut them up to the size I need for each job. I then tape them down to boards, like this: http://yfrog.com/z/mnkqjzj (hope you can see the image). So the tape does all the stretching I need and it keeps the painting smooth as long as you leave it to dry between layers.

    It will go warped and bumpy if I'm doing a very wet layer, but as long as you leave it the tape will make sure it flattens itself as it dries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers Ms Gyllblad! :) Love your stuff. Youve got a nice style with a really subtle quality about it.

    ReplyDelete