Monday, 16 May 2011

Bristol Expo 2011! A weekend of awesome!

((I'm writing this whilst brain-dead, so it will most likely be edited in the near future. I'll shout if that happens!))

I was at the Bristol Expo this year where I had my first ever table (shared with the lovely Corey Brotherson) on the Saturday. (Special thanks to Simon Gurr for allowing me to hop on board the Exhibitor-train at the last minute)
What an experience!
Here are some writings, photos and doodles to try to convey the awesomeness of it all:

Saturday

Me and El (who was staying over at mine for the duration of the convention) got up early, packed and caught a train to Bristol. We had to be there earlier than the punters to allow me to set the table up. I think I packed a bit too much as usual.


We met up with Corey Brotherson (who was hobbling around on a crutch) and Simon Gurr, sorted out the exhibitors passes, prepped the table and then it was GAME ON!





With both me and Corey being table-virgins we really didn't know what to expect. I had been a bit worried that it would be kind of formal and serious but in the end it was without doubt my favourite convention experience! I don't think I've ever done so much talking, shouting and laughing over a weekend as I did during this con! And with Corey being so stupidly photogenic and handing out sweets, there was never a dull moment by our table :D

I met tons of people! Some with similar interests, some who taught me new things and some who were a bit cheeky.




So what were the downsides to all this awesomeness I hear you ask? Well! Because of the sheer number of people passing through the small-press side of the convention, there weren't really moments where I could leave our table. So I was in effect chained to the thing for the entire Saturday.



And trust me, if you've been sitting by a table, babbling continously for hours and hours on end, your stomach starts to show some attitude.





By the end of the day, me and El had headed out to get something to eat (a falafel from Bristol's FalafelKing) in an attempt to appease the growling tummy, but having survived on sugar for most of the day, it finally caught up with me in the evening and I got ill :(

So for future reference: FOR THE LOVE OF COMICS, EAT.


Sunday

The Sunday was meant to be my day of walking around, exploring and scouting for comics. Since we only had the table on the Saturday, I was finally 'free' to toddle around with my portfolio and (in theory) also eat properly.
Sunday was time for serious talk with Corey about our Graphic Novel called Butterflies and Moths. So we took some time to sit in a separate room and discuss how to make it work.

When we finalize more stuff I'll post it on the blog! But for now, here's a little glimpse of the first chapter in the hands of its creators!


The rest of the day was spent catching up with friends, meeting new friends, shopping for comics with the money I had earned the day before and...

.. Kinda forgetting to eat again.

Progress from Sunday morning to Sunday afternoon/early evening:


I never bloody learn!

(...To be continued/edited :D I need to pop off to collapse for a mo!)

3 comments:

  1. Ha, brilliant round-up! :D Although I look slightly scared in the Butterflies and Moths pic, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! You're thinking of the work ahead of us :D While I'm still in la-la land about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, it was nice to meet you at Bristol, I was the guy banging on about Leon Bakst. Liked your Jenspiration comic. Your loose expressive drawings and witty take on life were great. Bookmarking your page and looking forward to watching your work.
    David

    ReplyDelete