Saturday, 12 December 2009

Discovering a written down speech by Neil Gaiman.

Full speech can be found here: Click me!, and I highly recommend reading it if you're interested in the world of comics/graphic novels.

Here are some outtakes that made me sit up a bit straighter in my chair when I first read them.


"My first piece of advice is this:

Ignore all advice.

In my experience, most interesting art gets made by people who don't know the rules, and have no idea that certain things simply aren't done: so they do them. Transgress. Break things. Have too much fun."



The last short sentence really got to me. I've received comments that I can be a bit 'too' energetic in my approach and that I don't know when to stop.

Although I will listen to advice while I am still at Uni (I mean, why am I there otherwise?), it remains to be seen whether I will do something completely different when left to my own devices.



"As a solution to various problems you may encounter upon the way, let me suggest this:

Make Good Art.

It's very simple. But it seems to work. Life fallen apart? Make good art. True love ran off with the milkman? Make good art. Bank foreclosing? Make good art.

Keep moving, learn new skills. Enjoy yourself."



I've been very self-conscious about creating a 'proper' comic of my life. I've done a lot of small separate ones that depict little events, but never anything that shows -everything-. The more I itch to draw, the more I think: 'Let's just do it. fuck what other people might think.'

Easier said than done, obviously. Hence why nothing's been done. I don't Keep Moving on that front.. :P Perhaps it needs to be done in a sort of David Mack 'Kabuki' way. Where he uses metaphors to allow himself to draw his own thoughts and diary.



"Be proud of your mistakes. Well, proud may not be exactly the right word, but respect them, treasure them, be kind to them, learn from them.

And, more than that, and more important than that, make them.

Make mistakes. Make great mistakes, make wonderful mistakes, make glorious mistakes. Better to make a hundred mistakes than to stare at a blank piece of paper too scared to do anything wrong, too scared to do anything.

Critics will grumble. Of course they will. That's one of the functions of critics. As an artist it's your job to give them ulcers, and perhaps even something to get apoplectic about.


Oh god! I just want to get going already!
*stares at dissertation*

.... Sigh.

4 comments:

  1. I happen to know an ASSHOLE who works with Gaiman every once in awhile, especially his daughter if I recall.
    However.. I do not care for said asshole. He really thinks he's THE shit and what he really does is take shitty angled photos of naked ladies and then photoshops the hell out of them.

    FUCK YOU JASON HYDE, FUCK YOU.
    Why the hell do I know this guy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erm o_O
    Not sure if that was a sales tactic or a rant, but it got me to google him, so it obviously worked xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not really. I just really really really DISLIKE him. He's extremely full of himself.
    He used to "kk" with one of my better friends (who works for Ubuntu linux) and started thinking romantic feelings about dating her forever, not even 2 months she had decided she wanted to divorce her abusive husband.

    ReplyDelete