Saturday, 24 January 2009

Creating my first armature for stop motion animation.

This following post has been imported from my personal blog. I made a decision to separate my personal blog from my artist one, as it was getting a little bit confusing!

Here we go!

Shaun The Sheep - Still Life
Stop motion animation from Aardman. Apparently Shaun is made as a wire armature which is the same technique I'm currently learning in model making!

Awesome stuff :D

I haven't really come that far yet though. It's more complicated than it looks. You need to think about lots of things like joint strains, distance between the 'skeleton' and the wire, gravity, what the puppet will be doing in the animation (extreme movements for example), etc etc.

To start off, we are just learning the very basics of how to create a wire puppet. This is my first one and thus not made to look great. It's just to know how the process works. When I get better (and if I still like it), I'm gonna start making proper puppets. The sky is the limit!



This is a basic human shape... Without the head :D





The white stuff is there to prevent the entire arm moving like it's boneless, but instead act like it has proper joints. It's basically the puppets 'skeleton'.



At the front there you can see the very basic wire shape of a human puppet before the bone and the foam is added.

The next process is to add foam (the stuff you see on the body) over all the limbs and then begin "skinning" as the animators call it. That is when you start adding the outside layer to the puppet.

I will be taking photos of the process! Have a feet workshop next week. Can't wait! This is something I could potentially get very interested in. If you know me, you know I love creating characters. Imagine the characters I draw on a piece of paper actually turning 3D and even being able to move! Jeebus.


IMPORTED POST nr 2 below!

Even though I was retarted enough to forget to pick up the copydex from University yesterday (as I was there, actually TOUCHED the little container with it, but still not take it with me) I continued to work on as much as I could without the next ingredient needed.

So here's my first ever hand.





And here's the first head I will be using for my puppet.






Gonna go have breakfast now and then go down to University (agaaain) to THIS time pick up the copydex... Jeebus. Sometimes I wonder if I have real serious problems with my memory.

IMPORTED POST nr 3 beloooow!







It is clear how clumsy everything looks, but I'm having so much fun I just can't stop. I've run out of supplies now though...

No comments:

Post a Comment